Saturday, May 3, 2014

Yea for spring!

Just a quick post to let you know that we are alive and doing well!  This is my favorite time of year.  I've been busy with the garden the past month or two.  There are few things I find more fulfilling than picking and eating stuff straight from the garden.  This year we bought insect covers to drape over the beds.  I had asked some people last summer at the farmers market how they grow organically without losing their minds over the bugs...their response insect covers.  I'll probably take them down in a week since my snap peas need more height to grow, but it does seem to be helping.  Here are two of the main beds. 


  Took this pic today of bed 1
This is bed 2, but it's from last weekend.  So now it is a little fuller
 Today I picked my first bunch of radishes.  Two got eaten by grubs, but the rest looked great.  We like our radishes sautéed in butter with garlic and salt.
I have no idea why this pic is upside down

Tonight we had salmon and a huge arugula and mizuna lettuce salad freshly picked.  This was our first time to grow this type of greens and make the salad.  Zac and I loved it.  It was just the greens, fresh parmesan, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic, garlic, sugar, and salt.  Had to bribe the boys a little bit since it was a strong salad, but they ate it.
I'm excited to see how the garlic does.  I planted it for the first time in the fall, and it should be ready pretty soon.
Another thing we've enjoyed doing the past couple months is watch Mason play soccer on Saturday mornings.  He's getting better and enjoying it more with each week. He seems to be more excited to see all the dandelions, but who can blame him.  Here are a few pics from the past couple weeks. 


 

The hardest thing has been keeping Paxton from joining in.  He wants to play so bad, and surprisingly he is a good ball dribbler.  We'll have to put him in next year.  It may be a little late, but happy spring!    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment