Sunday, August 7, 2011

I saw the sign...

Kayla (my sister) did sign language with her kids, and it was really successful so we wanted to do it with Mason. It has been amazing! If he starts to fuss a little bit, we can say "What do you want?" and he can often sign to us what he wants. Sometimes he'll throw his hands up like he knows he should have a sign but doesn't know what it is. Or if he doesn't say what it is we will give him some choices, and he'll sign what he wants based on that. Right now he knows eat, more, drink, all done, outside, movie, sign, book, help, and please. He doesn't have the form down perfect in all of them, but enough to where we know what he's saying. When we ask what he wants he usually signs a movie. He LOVES his Baby Einstein movies! If I say he gets to watch a movie, he squeals with glee and waves his arms.
I'm so thankful our kid loves to go to bed. If we say it's time to go "night night" he will repeat it back and start walking towards his room. Friday night he was fussing a couple hours before his bedtime so I asked him the question. Surprisingly he responded that he wanted "night night." Then he proceeded to lay down on the living room rug (he didn't sleep well that day). I couldnt believe it! Unfortunately we couldn't give him what he wanted because we didn't want him up early the next morning. The video is of him saying and signing "night night" before his afternoon nap. He's been able to say it for the past month, but we just showed him the sign for fun (hands together on the side of your face)...as you can see in the video he hasn't got it down yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment