These past two weeks have been quite a ride! I'll try to do an abbreviated version of the past two weeks. It started with my water breaking at 6:45 am on Tuesday the 11th. We got to the hospital at 8 am to find that I had only dilated 1.5 cm. I wasn't progressing so they put me on pitocin. At 7pm I was still only dilated to 5 cm so my new nurse kicked everyone out of the room so I could relax enough and hopefully start progressing so I wouldn't have to get a c-section. Finally by midnight I was at 10 cm and started pushing. After an hour of pushing, we still could not get Mason's head through (it turned out to be 36 cm - quite large) so they had to do an episiotomy...which ended in a 3rd degree tear. At 1:18 am Wednesday the 12th he was finally born! Unfortunately he was stunned when he came out (blue and not really breathing or crying) so they immediately took him to the warmer and started sucking all the gunk out of him, and praise the Lord he started crying. Zac and I got to hold him long enough for one picture each before they took him to the nursery to put him on oxygen and run several tests. At 4am we found out everything was good, and I finally got to hold my precious baby! At 10 am I decided I wanted a little shower and ended up passing out in the process...first time ever. Then about 30 minutes later I was feeding Mason when his whole body turned a deep blue. He went back to the nursery for a couple hours before coming back with an IV of antibiotics and another tube attached to his foot to monitor the oxygen in his blood. Thursday they took off the oxygen monitor on his foot, but kept the IV on him, and then Friday we were finally released after his circumcision to bring him home! That night we were up all night because little Mason would not let us put him down to sleep which resulted in my break down on Saturday morning because he started having trouble nursing when my milk came in. Thankfully all was better by that afternoon, and he did much better sleeping from that point on.
Our 1 week apt was last week, and we were told he's looking great but needs to gain more weight. So I've been working really hard to keep him from drifting to sleep while he's eating since the apt. He's been eating every 3 hours for about 20 minutes on each side so I wasn't prepared for the news I got yesterday at his two week apt which resulted in my 2nd big breakdown. He continued to loose weight over the past week. At two weeks they should be near birth weight (8lbs 1 oz)...he weighed 7 lbs 1 oz. So my poor little guy is basically starving, and I don't understand how that's possible. Anyway, doctor is very concerned about his weight loss so she had us go to get some blood work and urine samples taken at the hospital. Thankfully blood work came back fine, and we'll find out about the urine when we go back today. She is also having us supplement with formula by giving him about 1-2 oz after each time I feed him so we can fatten him up fast.
I will say we could tell a huge difference in Mason's behavior yesterday evening when he had a full belly. He was so much more content, and we had so much fun watching him kick and play while laying on his back. When it was time to put him down to bed he went right to sleep, and I had to wake him up for his nightly feedings because he was sleeping so soundly.
Hopefully today's apt will show that he's gained some weight...I don't see how he couldn't because he just downed the formula each time. Here is a picture of him from last night.
I need to first say he is so cute! When I read your blog it brought back all of these memories of me crying when I was having trouble feeding Benjamin in the beginning and then the colic stage. I blocked some of those emotional times out of my mind. Your story sounds like one thing after another! I am glad you both are doing well!
ReplyDeleteThat is a cute picture! I'm sure he'll fatten up fast!
ReplyDeleteHe is just adorable! Sorry to hear about all the stress and worry!! I can't wait to meet him! Btw...I know someone that had the same problem. Contact me if you need any info.
ReplyDeleteHang in there! You won't be the first momma to have a complete breakdown....I've had at least 3 and I've never been through anything as stressful as what you have been through.
ReplyDeleteI had to supplement with all of my kiddos and sweet charlotte's on full formula now & is the biggest mommas girl of them all! I'll be saying an extra prayer for you guys.